Secret sexualities: A Sourcebook of 17th and 18th Century Writing - McCormick, Ian
Paperback. Routledge. 1997. Very good condition.
Secret Sexualities is expansive in its historical range, vast sources and scholarly research. It contains rare, unpublished, primary material, extensive critical and contextual material by the editor, and refuses to discriminate between issues of sex, sexuality and gender.
The coverage includes:
* extracts dealing with anatomy and medicine
* the cultural construction of eunuchs and hermaphrodites
* famous trials for sodomy and the forgotten victims of the law
* representations of effeminate men, fops and sodomites
* Sapphic texts which portray cross-dressing, mannish women and female husbands